Watch Our City News Service, San Francisco: On the eve of the first official workout for Giants pitchers and catchers, President of Baseball Operations Farhan Zaidi and Manager Gabe Kapler met with reporters to discuss the outlook for the club in 2023. Here are three things we learned from their wide-ranging media sessions at Cactus League Media Day on Wednesday.
One of the most intriguing storylines of the spring will revolve around the catching mix, which Kapler described as a “completely open competition” among Joey Bart, Rule 5 Draft pick Blake Sabol and non-roster invitees Roberto Pérez and Austin Wynns. Kapler said the four backstops are expected to battle for “both playing time and roster spots,” the clearest indication yet that the Giants don’t plan to hand the starting job to Bart, their No. 2 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.
The Giants also plan to give Sabol, a 23-year-old former fifth-round pick, a chance to win a job. Kapler said the club likes Sabol’s “defensive ability,” but he cautioned that the young catcher still needs to “continue to develop his offensive game.”
Pérez and Wynns, meanwhile, offer the Giants veteran depth behind the plate. Pérez, 32, is entering his fifth season in the organization, while Wynns, 30, is back with the Giants after spending last year with the Padres. Kapler said the Giants are “excited to have both of them in camp.”