INDIO (CNS) – About 75 people were evacuated from homes, a business and two motels in Indio after a 1-to-2-foot natural gas line ruptured early this morning.
Firefighters responded to reports of a large natural gas leak in the 80800 block of Highway 11, west of Madison Street, about 12:45 a.m., according to the Riverside County Fire Department.
The Mauna Loa and Western Sands motels, along with a bar, auto repair shop, a Walgreens pharmacy and a gas station are located in the area. Valley Children’s Medical Center is located less than a half-mile away, but was closed at the time of the incident.
A temporary evacuation area for evacuees was set up at Highway 111 and Madison Street.
SoCalGas crews were called to the scene to stop the leak, the department said.
No injuries were reported.